Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Assignment 2: Festive Calendar

Welcome to the making of my festive calendar specially designed for the second assignment of Computer Graphics subject.

Ideation of the Festive Calendar


First of all, i have chosen the month of August '09 to design the calendar. I picked this month because I would like to highlight the Independence of Malaysia which falls on the 31st of August. Thus, I planned to design the calendar filled with the theme of history and patriotism. I represent the five former prime ministers of Malaysia with the background of Jalur Gemilang (Malaysian Flag).

I chose this design/layout as a reference to my calendar.





From my ideation, I picked this layout as the nearest design to what I have sketched out. In this layout, I assumed the insect is the main subject of the calendar and the background of the calendar is something that the insect is trying to go to or to get. From my naked eyes, I imagined the insect is a bee that is heading to its hive.

In my calendar, I convert the insect to the illustrations of the five former prime ministers to reperesent the history of the rulers of Malaysia and also convert the background to the flag of Malaysia as a spirit of patriotism and as a representative to the world. In addition, I insert the words '51st Independence Day' to indicate the 51 years of independence day in the year of 2009. Also, I added the days and dates of the month and highlighted the weekend and the independence day at the bottom part of the calendar.


Design of the Festive Calendar

Below is the rough sketch of my festive calendar. Stay tuned for the final outcome!


Tools Used in the Making of the Calendar


Step 1: I draw the outline of the five former prime ministers from my sketch using the pen tool.



Step 2: I have chosen black color for the illustration of the former prime ministers to give a shadow effect that means the history of the rulers of Malaysia behind the independence day.

Step 3: Then, I draw the Jalur Gemilang using the pen tool and repeated the shapes of the red stripes to give the effect which the flag is blowing in the wind.


Step 4: After that, I insert the crescent and the 14-pointed star in the flag using the pen tool also.


Step 5: After completing the main subjects in the calendar, I added a classic effect background at the bottom part of the calendar and adjust it accordingly.

Step 6: Then I added the dates and days in the classic background using different types of fonts and sizes. I also adjust the fonts according using the stroke tool to give the bold effect on the fonts.

Step 7: I also changed the color of the fonts for the weekend of the month and the independence day. In addition, I also added dividers to show the weekends of the month and the August '09 headline.

Step 8: Lastly, I give a title to the calendar which is '51st Independece Day' and adjust it accordingly to place it in the center of the calendar.

References

In this section, I will show you all the pictures and ideas that i obtained from the internet for my research and guides to complete my calendar.


5th Prime Minister: Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi


4th Prime Minister: Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad



3rd Prime Minister: Tun Hussein Onn



2nd Prime Minister: Tun Abdul Razak Hussein



1st Prime Minister: Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj


Malaysian Flag (Jalur Gemilang)

Final Outcome

This is my festive calendar based on the Independence Day of Malaysia.




Thank you! time for assignment 3



1 comment: